Friday, October 8, 2010

All about Abigail

I figured I'd better get an update on Abby up here. We've had so many people praying for her (and us) and I am sorry I haven't kept you more updated. We appreciate all the prayers and fasting and concern for us. We still need it!!

Abigail is doing fairly good. She is now 10 months old. She weighs 16lbs 3 oz and is 28 inches long. She is a healthy looking girl, so it is funny that she is in like the 3rd percentile for weight and 10th for height (or something like that!!)

Her infantile spasm seizures have NOT come back - THANK YOU!!! She is still being seen by our neurologist. In fact we go back again in about a week and a half. He said it is now a wait and see thing - the spasms might come back, they might not. And the 'regular' epilepsy can start at anytime or not at all. So we wait.....

She started physical therapy 2 times a week. I didn't know what they would do and it isn't great strides, but it is nice to have someone help her and me know what the next steps are. She is working real hard at sitting up on her own and is making great progress. She is actually able to do tummy time now so that is leading to her using her hands more. Did you know that by pushing with their hands while on their tummy is where they start to figure out that they have hands and they can do things?? And Abby with her awful reflux could NOT stand to be on her tummy or even her back for that matter.

We have been working with Early Childhood Intervention. Each state has their own version of this. They had a long waiting list for any therapy's, so we just decided to do it on our own. But we do get a visit 2 times a month from our worker and once a month from a nurse.

Abigail is quite floppy, but then goes real stiff when she is over stimulated. She is spastic. So she can sit, but then instead of doing small movements to correct when she is tipping over, she will do a big correction and flop over. We have lots of work to do in her fine motor skills. But she is making forward progress so that is what counts. She does get overstimulated real easily. Which is common in neurologically damaged babies/kids. This leads to all the crying and screaming (like she did for the first 4-5 months of her life). At least I know why now!!! So we don't know how far to push her, how much to take her out, how much to expose her too.

She is also going to Speech Therapy. I know, sounds a little strange, but it is actually for some feeding issues. She doesn't have the same use of her mouth on both sides. You know how when you go to the dentist and they stick something in your mouth and your tongue goes right to it? Well, Abby does that great on her left side, but not on her right. There are exercises for that, if you can believe it, and she is improving greatly here too. She is eating much better, swallowing most all of her food. We are also transitioning her off the $450 a month formula (that our insurance wouldn't cover) to just regular, I can get it at Walmart formula.

Abby has the most beautiful, crystal clear, blue eyes. They look around, they dilate and constrict, they look perfect, in fact they are perfect. But they aren't sure what or if she can see. In fact we just found out Friday that her eye dr considers her legally blind. He didn't tell us that. We found out on a report he did for the Vision Services lady. Her eyes are perfect, but they think the problem is with the area of the brain that processes your vision which is in the back of your brain - an area hard hit with seizures and in preemies. So another wait and see.......So another person from Early Childhood comes - a Vision Services lady who has toys and touchy things, etc that will help us help Abby develop whatever vision she does have.
As far as talking goes, Abby doesn't say any consonants yet. She tells what we call stories. Where she will do an, aahhhhh. Sometimes she even does this squeak at the end. It is real cute. The therapists and doctors say it is a good sign that she is making at least those noises. There is hope she will talk! She does laugh and giggle. It is so cute!!!

She's been sick with strep 2 times, had an ear infection, got her first 4 teeth, gotten a cold. So we've struggled with all the normal baby things too. She hasn't been sleeping very well = I haven't been sleeping very well. She's been pretty fussy = I've been pretty fussy. I think I've probably cried everyday since June over something. Whether happy tears, sad tears, tears of frustration - you name it, I've done it.

Sometimes I go to "that place", the one I know I shouldn't go to. But I can't help myself yet and I go there more than I should. I think about the future and what it will be like. Will she see? Will she ever say my name? Will she walk? Will she ever hold her hands up for me to pick her up? Will she get picked on? How can I do this? How is this my life? Am I doing right by the other kids? Why? Why? Why? This is the hardest thing and it isn't a, "ok what do I need to learn so my trial will end" kind of trial. I just keep kissing on that sweet angel face and hoping we are doing something right.We really do appreciate the prayers for us. We can feel your strength. We thank you for loving us. Keep us in your prayers, we aren't done yet!!

11 comments:

Sharron said...

I how glad I am to get some more news on your sweet special little daughter! Not too long ago I asked Mariah if she had heard anything.

You're doing lots of right things so keep up the good work.

You're still in our prayers!

Erin said...

Oh Amy- How I love you. Life is not fair. I wish so badly that your little Abigail would wake up one day, completely better. I wish that you could sleep. I wish you didn't have to hurt so much for her and for you. I wish. And I pray for you and hope for you and continue wishing for you. Hope it helps, just a little. Love you.

Happy Herrons said...

Dearest cousin, more prayers right now. I am so glad she is doing speech - it really helped Ashley with actually talking and saying words right - isn't it amazing how much help can improve things? I am praying for good night sleeps -because with sleep almost anything is more bearable. Love lots

Sheffer's said...

I'm glad you took the time to do an update. I've been thinking of you and your family, and praying for you as well. You've definitely been on my mind! What a wonderful support system you have going with all of the therapists, although I'm sure at times you wish you could just have some peace and quiet. You are a wonderful mother. Abigail is beautiful. I, too, will pray for you to get some sleep. It really does make such a difference.

Sally said...

Amy you are doing lots and lots of lots of things right. I hate that you can't know the future but remember that Heavenly Father does, so try your best to let go and trust. The last picture says it perfect - LOVE. If you have that, you are doing everything right. You are the bestest Mommy! You can do this, I bet you often wonder how, but you can do it Amy. We'll keep praying for you! Love you!

Heather said...

Thanks so much for the update and the super cute pictures. I am amazed how many wonderful thing therapist can do these days to strengthen muscles and make lives better. I HATE the wait and see part. You can do it!!!

Mariah said...

Your family pops into my head at least twice a day. I'm so glad you updated on how your little Abigail is doing. She is a beautiful little girl and looks so much like your other kiddos.

It's amazing what miracles early intervention can bring, although, it's an exhausting thing at the same time. Life's really not a fair deal so much of the time. I'm so glad that she's got a set of parents, and siblings, that will love and provide everything they can to help her conquer the world.

We'll keep all of you in our prayers. Hope you can start sleeping soon. Sending great big hugs your way. Love you guys!

Andrea said...

Amy, I'm so happy for the little victories that you have been able to enjoy with Abigail! And so sorry for the unanswered questions and uncertainties. You are awesome and will get through this and be stronger for it. You're in our thoughts and prayers.

carolyne b said...

Amy thanks for letting us know how Abby is doing. It must be diffucult at times not knowing day to day how things will end up, but know that prayers are being sent to He who knows your hearts desire. We in Winnipeg, love and miss you and think of you guys always. Abby is in good hands and has some amazing parents sisters and a brother who will fight with her for answers to questions.

Kristi Drennan said...

Oh heavens I love that kid! She looks so happy. I'd like to kiss the crap out of her.

Tricia said...

Amy you are one of the strongest mothers that I know, you are doing everything perfect even if there are small bumps or large bump along the way. I love you and your amazing little family and will continue to pray for you all.